-i have never read a harry potter novel. i have never watched a harry potter movie from beginning to end.
-i have never read the lord of the rings trilogy. i only managed to watch the first lord of the rings movie, and i probably wouldn't have finished it if i hadn't actually PAID to see it in the theater--i didn't know what i was getting into.
-i have no desire to see twilight or read the books. remember, i said i wasn't normal.
-i have only watched parts of the star wars movies because mark and noah are superfans--mark denies the 'superfan' label, but would my two boys know anything about it if it wasn't for his influence?? (luke doesn't say much, but he can say "star wars.")
-i didn't care for the one chronicles of narnia movie we rented, but i thought the saturday night live digital short "the chronic(what?)cles of narnia" was HILARIOUS.
this all leads me to the latest movie franchise that all the youngins are lovin' and i'm thinking "why???"--high school musical. i saw a clip for high school musical 3 on a talk show while waiting at the doctor's office. it is a classic moment with the basketball team down 1 pt. with only seconds left and in this moment of truth they take to the court singing and dancing AND playing basketball. REALLY??? it was pretty awesome. it reminded me of this clip from sesame street we found on youtube a while back while looking for elmo clips for luke, but now i have a whole new appreciation for it's clever parody. "preschool musical, preschool musicaAaAaAaAal!"
so help me, what am i missing in all these movies and books? are there any other cultural phenomenons everyone loves that you don't quite understand?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
to respond:
Harry Potter is actually a pretty fun read, and is easy. it makes you feel smart because they are written for younger kids.
The Lord of the Rings books are actually really good. I'm not a huge fantasy person, but I really enjoyed the books.
don't ever read the Twilight series. Really lame. I should know, I read it!
I've seen all the old star wars, but none of the new ones. i'm not really a fan. definitely not a superfan. (I should have known mark was a superfan!)
Never read the Chronicles of Narnia books. The movies were interesting.
Basically, you aren't abnormal. you just like different things!
p.s. i don't get the whole high school musical craze either. seems so weird!
-- jessica
I've always thought you were an odd one. :)
You have never read a Harry Potter book?? That surprises me. I read the first 4, then got bored.
Twilight I feel the same way about. No desire.
High School Musical. Ahhhhhhhh! So weird. And Mia is SO into that kinda thing. We don't have cable and go to great lengths to keep her away from the Disney channel or anything like unto it, but she has seen HSM and knows who Hannah Montana is from other peoples houses. It's scary.
I like The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, but it's not my favorite book ever. The movie was okay.
The Lord of the Rings movies are SO good. I wouldn't watch them more than once, but I loved them the once I watched them. You should watch em someday.
Luke can say Star Wars????? Yeah, I think superfan is an appropriate description.
P.S. Antuan was tagged in a picture by the picture of Maritza, so I saw it there. "YA NO LA QUIERO!" I love that woman. It was good to see a photo of her.
Tracy,
Sometimes it is hard to explain taste. Remember "Ishtar" (the worst movie of the year!)We thought it was hilarious!
Your Mother
you are definately abnormal...but not for any of the reasons you mentioned! on books and movies--i share your sentiments on most. star wars puts me to sleep. chronicles of narnia were ok when i was 12, but the movie stunk. lord of the rings--what was that all about anyway? i had a good nap while my husband watched them all. twilight? i balked when martin (yes, the 37 year old male) told me to read them. it sat on my shelf for two months before i opened it. then as hard is it is to admit, i totally loved it to the point of obession for awhile. to wean myself off those books, i decided to suck it up and read harry potter--the movies bored me when i got dragged to them. but i must say that at book 4, i couldn't put it down. so there you have it. my favorite reads as of late are:
"the book theif"(marcus zusak)
"my sisters keeper"this is a serious tear-jerker.(jodi picoult)
"three cups of tea"(greg mortenson)
"the bean trees"(barbara kingsolver)(if you haven't read "the poisonwood bible" you'd like it too)
and for a quick read, "wildwood dancing"(juliet marillier or something to that effect)
FYI-i read "cry the beloved country" again awhile ago and thought of you!that is such a great book! this has become very lengthy, but you caught me at quiet time at my house!
-jeana
That's why Dave and I think you guys are so awesome! You're refreshing and different and not afraid to tell people about it! Remember when you guys did cultural date night? That was a lot of fun, and helped break people out of the norm. I need that, I'm a pretty "normal" person:) You guys are awesome!
Tracy! Thats why we love you! If you are abnormal then Dana and I are as normal as it gets! Remember, Different is Good! Oh by the way Dana tried to sign up for Boston yesterday and it was full! We were pretty sad. Maybe next year! And refering to a forever ago email, I loved the "guys" set up, or army set up, that is so boy! I am glad you will be able understand, it only gets more complicated, the older they get. I have had to be the master of destruction for many armies because I needed my living room or whatever back!
We must be sisters. I am the exact same on all of that stuff. Too funny. I am just not a science fiction person. Did you like cartoons growing up? We may have had this discussion. I couldn't stand shows like Tom and Jerry.
Post a Comment